That's what I tried. After I've inserted it and have the icon on my
desktop, I get:

r...@edwin:~# umount /dev/scd0
umount: /dev/scd0: not mounted
r...@edwin:~#

Yet the icon is on my desktop, and when I double click it, Nautilus open it.

So what's controlling the device?

It just occurred to me to do:
r...@edwin:~# ps -ef | grep scd0
root      6521  6477  0 Jun14 ?        00:01:00 hald-addon-storage:
polling /dev/scd0 (every 2 sec)
root     15023 14855  0 17:34 pts/5    00:00:00 grep scd0
r...@edwin:~#

Any idea what hald-addon-storage is?

--
-Eric 'shubes'