Excerpts from Gerald Thurman's message of Sun Feb 21 09:08:04 -0700 2010:
> Learn the command-line using BASH, then use BASH as your first programming
> language. The transition is seamless. BASH provides the three things you
> need to write a structured program:  sequence, selection, repetition. In
> addition, it has functions and the array data structure. From BASH move onto
> C. Learn the entire language along with most of the STDC Library (it's one
> of the greatest libraries of all-time). After C, the paths you can take are
> plentiful.
>
> The simplest hello world program I've encountered (assume $ is the PS1
> prompt)...
>
> $ echo hello, world

I wasn't going to join in on this thread, but after that, I just have to.

BASH is an excellent tool and a beautiful language. I used it to make my
RSVP/birthday card thing at http://earlgrey.is-a-chef.net:1992

It's just BASH CGI being served up by lighttpd on OpenBSD. I love me.

So, um... learn Ruby, dude.