Am 23. Jun, 2011 schwätzte Steven A. DuChene so:

moin moin,

heading out right now, so can't be detailed.

Check autoflush.

       HANDLE->autoflush(EXPR)
       $OUTPUT_AUTOFLUSH
       $|      If set to nonzero, forces a flush right away and after
every

I don't remember which CPAN module I used last year ( might have been
File::Tail ), but there was an option to set to make sure it kept the file
open to watch for new data.

ciao,

der.hans

I am attempting to do a "tail -f" on a log file that has a new line added to it
every 15 seconds.
I need to parse and process each new line as it is added to the file.

I am trying to use the following example code from cpan to see if the basic
concept will
work using File::Tail but when I run the example code below and add lines to
the file
I get nothing out.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use File::Tail;
$file = File::Tail->new("/home/sad/bin/power_input_stuff.txt");
while (defined(my $line = $file->read))
{
   print $line;
}

I am doing the following in another xterm window to add lines to the file:

echo "2011:06:21:15:07:46 57 01 00 a0 04 a0 00 c3 00 a7 00 33 16 01 4e 01 00 00 00
50" >> power_input_stuff.txt

but I am getting NOTHING back in the original window where the perl script is
running.

The above perl code is a near direct copy of the File::Tail example code on
cpan so I would expect it to work.

What am I doing wrong???
--
Steven DuChene

#  In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
#  It is not always an easy sacrifice.