I just put in a replacement UPS (Tripp-Lite G1010USB) and connected the USB
cable.  I see that Ubuntu 10.04 does see it but I have no idea how to tell
if it will actually pay attention if the UPS ever tells it to shut down.
Short of a power failure, how can one know?

Here is what lsusb says about it:

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before
forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from
capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.