Good information guys!  I knew about less decompression and use that a
lot.  I should have been clearer that the zcat usage was so I could grep
for something in a compressed (and normally large) syslog archive.

I like Rusty's explanation of logrotate because I have looked at it in the
past and could never make heads or tails of how it worked.  I knew the
basics of why it existed but not any details.  Maybe one of these days when
I have nothing else to do I will look at it again :)

Larry

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcr...@usa.net>wrote:

> From: "Carruth, Rusty" <rusty.carr...@smartstoragesys.com>
> [snip logrotate info]
> > On a slightly different topic, I have found that some versions of 'less'
> > will automatically decompress compressed files to text.  Or at least,
> > one time I mistakenly said 'less /var/log/syslog*' when some of them
> > were zipped, and LO! I didn't see any binary junk - it decompressed them
> > for me.  YMMV!
>
> This is actually found in *all* versions of less, at least since 1999, but
> the
> environment variable that controls this feature isn't always set.  An older
> Ubuntu didn't set it, f'rinstance.  That's:
>
> export LESSOPEN='|lesspipe.sh %s'
>
> ...so less, when invoked, checks that LESSOPEN var and pipes files through
> /usr/bin/lesspipe.sh , which checks the filename for a metric ton of common
> patterns and attempts to invoke appropriate decompressers for those
> patterns.
> Like "bzip2 -dc" for files ending in .bz2 , "bzip2 -dc | tar tvvf -" for
> files
> ending in .tar.bz2 , and so forth.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.