On 06/10/2012 01:11 PM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
Microsoft responded by saying that there was no mandate from Microsoft
that prevents secure booting from being disabled in firmware or that
keys could not be updated and managed.

I think this is key to understanding the situation. Anyone can easily disable secure booting and people can do as they please, as they do presently.

In order to use secure booting with an alternative OS, one simply needs to get a certificate request signed by a CA (a service which comes with a fee), much the same as certs are done for SSL. This would be one cert per OS, not per computer. I'm not certain of the details of how to do this, but this is my understanding of the process.

BL, if you don't want or need secure booting, things are pretty much the same as they've always been. I doubt that most people would notice a difference between UEFI and traditional BIOS per se. The differences are largely between different vendor's implementations, as has always been the case.

As Larry said earlier, much to say about nothing.

--
-Eric 'shubes'