On 11/09/2012 12:19 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:
I don't see anything to give me any definite clues. But here are a couple of questions that might yield a clue:

 1. Has this machine sat unused and not plugged in for any length of
    time (could be the CMOS battery is dead/dieing)?

I bought it in January and used it every day since then. When it was a windows box, I would have it running for several days at a time doing my usenet harvesting.

 1. When the machine is locked up, can you do Ctrl-Alt-F2 and get a
    console (Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI)?

I can't do anything with it. I can't get to a console. I can ping it when it's working normally, but when it locks up it doesn't respond to pings or anything else. When it locks up it stops everything. If I'm watching a movie on it when it locks up, the audio stops and the last frame is on the screen until I push the power button long enough for the machine to turn it off. I have it and the other box plugged into a netgear router. There's a light on the front of it for each computer that's plugged into it. When I download using this machine, it's light on the router blinks. When the machine locks up, it's light stops blinking.

Also I opened it up and checked for dust bunnies. There was a little dust, but not enough to cause any problems. Today I opened a terminal and sensors -f. I get results that vary between 40 and 60F. I do believe I'm not getting an accurate reading because it's not that old in here. Also I shut the machine down and checked the heat sink for the processor. It wasn't even warm.

 1. What, exactly, do you mean by "locking up"?  More specifically,
    can you be sure that the machine is locked up or could it just be
    the display?  One way to test that theory is to ssh into the
    machine from another machine and run some application that does
    updates like top or htop, or a looping script displaying the time
    every few seconds.  If the machine seems to lock up but the remote
    machine still shows ongoing changes, then it is not the whole
    machine locking up.