Check your audio source in it, are you using pulseaudio or alsa endpoints?

I've had this with xbmc when using the spdif/toslink interface with 5.1 audio - only one stream can bind at a time. Pulse acts as a muxer with normal stereo, so make sure it's pointing there.

Could be a pulse bug - there are usually more of them than not.

-mb