On 5/25/05, Manas Alekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you really want your recompiles to make a *noticable* difference,
> try doing two things:
>
> 1. Remove loadable modeule support.
Kind of hard to recommend if you're using external drivers (by
external I mean which are not included in the kernel) for example
external alsa drivers, or wireless, or nvidia/ati binary drivers...
> 2. change -O2 flag to -O3 and add -funroll-loops
Living on the edge huh? ok :)

As for a question earlier in the thread:
> 3. What kind of improvements 've people experienced on the CLI after
re-compiling?
Improvements in the CLI? Hows the CLI going to improve by recompiling
the kernel? Sure, you could improve the amount of memory the kernel
occupies, or how fast the os feels, or maybe if you use some uber disk
scheduler, then your disk may just operate 0.1% faster... but CLI? If
you want an improved CLI, change the shell which you use (which is
most probably bash, and therefore there's probably no other shell
which is much better than bash)..

Sagar

--
Sagar Gokhale