This is on top of Oracle's ADF Faces project, which has been donated
to the Apache Foundation.

Oracle Proposes Open Source Persistence Project at Eclipse Foundation

Oracle, a newly appointed Eclipse Foundation Board Member and
Strategic Developer – the highest level of membership -- announced
that we will donate our award-winning Java persistence framework,
Oracle TopLink, to the open source community. In addition, Oracle
announced the proposal of a new Eclipse project to deliver a
comprehensive persistence platform based on the contribution of Oracle
TopLink, a component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, source code, and
test cases.

"Our latest contribution and added commitment to Eclipse demonstrates
Oracle's continued efforts to initiate, lead, support, and contribute
technology, innovation, and resources to the open source community,"
said Dennis Leung, Vice President, Software Development, Oracle. "From
our experience in leading several projects, we know that Eclipse has
an enthusiastic and vibrant following. We are very excited to grow our
involvement by bringing all of TopLink to Eclipse and delivering a
comprehensive persistence platform."

The Eclipse Foundation is one of several open source communities in
which Oracle invests significant development resources. As a leading
participant in both the Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) and the
Technology project, Oracle currently leads the JavaServer Faces
tooling, Dali JPA tools, and BPEL tools projects.

With our latest contribution and project proposal, Oracle continues to
demonstrate our commitment to the developer and open source
communities. Oracle TopLink is the industry's most advanced
persistence architecture, offering object-to-relational,
object-to-XML, and Enterprise Information System data access through
all of the major standards, including the Java Persistence API, Java
API for XML Binding, Service Data Objects, and the Java Connector
Architecture. It has consistently provided developers with superior
performance and choice.

Built on industry standards, Oracle TopLink works with any database,
any application server, any development toolset and process, and any
Java application architecture. Since its first commercial release in
1994, thousands of customers have chosen Oracle TopLink to bring
greater agility, better decision-making, and reduced cost and risk to
diverse IT environments. Now, by donating the source code and test
cases of Oracle TopLink, Oracle is making the first complete
enterprise persistence platform available in open source and to the
greater developer community.

"Oracle has been an Eclipse member since its inception and a
significant contributor," said Mike Milinkovich, Executive Director,
Eclipse Foundation. "The donation of Oracle TopLink to the open source
community is a win-win for Eclipse and the community. We are excited
about the opportunities this proposed project presents and for the
community which will gain a complete and comprehensive open source
persistence platform."

In addition to our code contribution, Oracle proposes to lead a new
Eclipse run-time project to provide a set of persistence services that
can be utilized in Java and OSGi environments. Working closely with
the Eclipse Foundation, Eclipse member companies, and other
contributors, Oracle will use the existing code base of Oracle TopLink
as the starting point for this project. Through our participation in
the OSGi Enterprise Expert Group, Oracle will also work with the group
members to create a set of blueprints that define how OSGi
applications can access standardized persistence technologies.

"Interface21 has worked closely with Oracle on the integration of
Oracle TopLink technology with the Spring Framework 2.0, which has
been tremendously successful with the open source community," said Rod
Johnson, Founder, Spring Framework, and CEO, Interface21. "Now with
all of TopLink being available under open source, this provides an
even richer persistence platform for the community and we are excited
about the proposed move to Eclipse. This will enhance the community
involvement that is so important to Spring customers."

The Eclipse Persistence Platform project will be available under the
Eclipse Public License. Oracle will continue to provide Oracle
TopLink, a key component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, to customers as
a commercial offering. Future releases will benefit from enhancements
made through the community and will be tightly integrated into Oracle
products. Licenses and support are available either as part of Oracle
Application Server or via the stand-alone Oracle TopLink product.

A detailed FAQ for this announcement is available at
http://otn.oracle.com/tech/eclipse. For more information about
Oracle's involvement in open source solutions for developers, visit
http://oss.oracle.com.

Please email comments about this story to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]