> hate to be pedantic, but if the area is without power for an extended
> time, does that mean that the internet infrastructure won't be
> running?

Maybe not, if you're using dial-up.  :-)

Note the power meters on the large (size of a refrigerator, or two)
distribution boxes in your neighborhood. Likely whatever powered
equipment inside doesn't have a backup that'll last for more than
brief outage, but I have no actual first hand knowledge.

Network UPS Tools.  I was shocked, shocked I say, to have to RTFHowto
on Ubuntu 8.xLTS when I set up a CyberPower. Worked just fine, even
though it was my first forray into the Linux USB world.

I don't know if apcupsd supports multiple machines per UPS, but that
seems to be a NUT strength.

Neal

p.s. I'll deny suggesting it but you could check out episode 93 at
http://revision3.com/systm/ for using car batteries to extend runtime
on a normal UPS. Patrick seems pretty sharp, Roger fairly good but
take everything technical David says with a huge grain of salt, IMHO.
Makes my inner EE cringe. Maybe it's stage nervousness during filming
or something, but man....