> Mike Connors wrote:
>> Alan wrote:
>>> What do you need to know?
>>>
>>> I guess I know more than most.  (I am the Linux kernel maintainer for
>>> Intel's Ultra Mobility Group.)
>> I guess I'd just like to get a general understanding of the kernel,
>> modules, variables, etc. Every once in a while I want to do something on
>> my Debian box and
>> inevitably I have to  enable/disable something in the kernel or build a
>> kernel with a module loaded. For instance, I want to disable IPv6
>> support. Does any of this make sense?
>
> This is a nice, short HOWTO on creating custom kernel packages for your
> Debian system:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/90

You really want to use the kernel source from your distro and not the
generic source. Each distro makes changes to their kernels that may or may
not be needed by userspace tools.

BTW, you do not need to recompile the kernel to disable ipv6.

In /etc/modules.d/aliases make the following additions/changes:

 alias ipv6 off
 alias net-pf-10 off

Once you reboot, ipv6 will no longer load.