When the system boots wicd calls dhcpcd and it looks for a lease. Not
finding any because the ethernet cable's plugged in, the system continues
booting.

   For a reason yet to be discovered ... Real Soon Now ... while eth0 is UP
and RUNNING with a broadcast route for the LAN, there's no default route
with a gateway IP address. I put that in rc.inet1.conf in the eth[0] section
but without effect. So, ... as a kludge at the end of rc.local I put 'route
add default gw 192.168.55.4' and now eth0 works, too! Hoo-ha! This is a poor
substitute for a real fix, but it lets me turn the laptop over to its
intended user and quit futzing with it.

   Many thanks again to Wes, Mike, and everyone else offering expertise in
networking and the reading of chicken entrails. I really appreciate all of
you.

Rich