We bought a used TV yesterday from a couple of brothers getting their
business started. They recommended that we get a surge protector rated
for 3200 joules. Their point was that ordinary surge protectors wear out
quickly, and after catching one or two surges are no longer able to
catch the next big one that comes along. I Googled and found that there
are such beasts, starting around $20 on Amazon. The one I looked at is
18" x 6" x 2" and has 10 outlets, hence the mention of beasts. I don't
find a joule rating on any of the surge protectors we have in the house.

So, the question is, are they correct? Are all the surge protectors in
the house probably shot? Is a rating of 3200 joules necessary?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens