I thought I'd toss this out there as I'm about to augment my desktop with
an SSD too. Rather than trying to predict which files will be accessed most
frequently or benefit most from an SSD, or risk running out of space
because I failed to predict usage on a specific partition, I've been
looking at unreasonably complicated solutions!

Firstly, a copy-on-write RAID1 between an SSD and hard drive partition of
equal size for / and the remainder on /home. Not foolproof but should net
some decent performance gains with minimal filesystem risk. I've also been
looking at doing this with a RAMdisk, but with much greater risk on power
loss.

Secondly, for the truly masochistic, flashcache! Basically using the SSD to
intelligently accelerate access to everything on the hard drive regardless
of partitioning, using sophisticated logic. You don't store anything
directly to the SSD, it's more like an Accelerator at that point. Getting a
system to boot from an entirely flashcache integrated system has been
fairly non-trivial in the past however. Facebook wrote fastcache for their
server farms, and subsequently open sourced it.

As I am always one for the most complicated and elegant solution possible,
clearly fastcache is the approach I plan on taking. (:

Pleasantly,
Ronald Bynoe