I am looking to replace my aged HP 930C inkjet.  We do not print very
much--cartridges last more than a year.  We have no scanner at
present.

Eyeing HP Envy 4500 and Epson XP-620  all-in-one.  The Epson has
better specs, uses separate color cartridges, and has lower per page
costs.

Questions those on this list might be able to answer:

Are the nozzles on the Epson in the cartridges, or are they part of the printer?

How much difficulty might I run into with Epson driver compatibility?
Googling tells me that this is  not an issue, but I would like some
confirmation.  HP seems to have more universal Linux support.

Are the better specs (9600 v.s. 2400 scan resolution) specsmanship or real?

Thanks to all who offer opinions.

-Denis