My HP printer seems to have lost some aspects of connection to my ubuntu
12.04 system.

Symptoms:

No printing from the computer

Front panel issued test page looks OK

Jobs in queue, status held

HPlip trouble shooting says run hp-check -t.  Lots of output, but "No
devices found under DISCOVERED USB DEVICES seems central.

HPlip trouble shooting says run /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp.  Response
is direct hp "Unknown" "HP Printer (HPLIP)".  It says to check cables.  I
changed the usb connection to different cables and port.  Same response.

lsusb yields Bus 001 Device 007: ID 03f0:c611 Hewlett-Packard.   I also ran
lsusb -v, but I do not know what portion of the many lines would be useful
here.

So it seems that the system can see the printer, but hplip cannot. Is there
a chance that the printer usb port has failed?  How to test?

Thanks,

-Denis