I'm currently trying to find a high perf (gaming-ish) laptop, say quad core
i7, to replace my six year old $250-special dual-core that died a couple
weeks ago.One objective is to drive an UHD (3840 x 2160) monitor at
something better than 1080i (1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz) of the old laptop. In my
search I discovered that only the new HDMI 2 spec supports 3840 x 2160 at
60Hz but I didn't run across any laptop that mentioned support for this.
HDMI 1.4/a/b does support 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz so if you're doing CAD work
and not playing games it's probably adequate.

There's a nice feature vs. version table about halfway down the page at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI .

DisplayPort ​1.2 supports 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz but sadly the only laptops
that have a DP connector seem to be spendy business class ones and even
spendier Macbooks.

Happy system building,
NealS