I don't know if it handles win3.x or not but Macrium Reflect has never let
me down. There's a free version for home use available online, or at least
there was when I cloned the HD on my laptop to an SSD a month ago.

I was going to use CloneZilla but it was way too, uh, flexible for my
attention span that day.

You will no doubt have to play around with the CHT parameters to get a
drive different from the original 1GB to boot. Seems I recall some Compaqs
requiring a system utilities floppy to modify some/most/all BIOS settings.

I might have an old 1GB drive hiding somewhere in the deep recesses of the
computer dung^H^H^H^Hroom if you can't get there with a bigger drvie.
Alternately and probably quicker, does FreeGeek keep anything that small
around, or send them right to the shredder?

Regards,
NealS