On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 14:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Sun, 6 Aug 2017, Joe Shisei Niski wrote:
>
>> It seems that once upon a time (circa version 4 or so), LO Writer
>> supported so-called curly or "smart" quotes,
>
>My experience is that this form of quotation mark is
>typeface-dependent. Not all typefaces support them or true small caps
>or true Italic fonts (rather than slanted.) Try selecting a different
>typeface ("font") in LO and see if that supplies them.

I can add that typesetter quotes are alive and well in my LibreOffice
4.2.8.2 on Xubuntu 14.04. I might also add that I have long been in awe
of how well it works. The only time it makes a mistake is when typing
something like 'twas, where it thinks the ' should be an open quote
although, in this case it must be a closed quote.

>> My use is for non-technical college papers and business
>> correspondence, so Tex- based tools area bit of overkil.

>I'll disagree with this. Have you used LyX <http://www.lyx.org/>? The
>KOMA-script article, report, book, and letter2 classes provide great
>defaults and you can select your default body text typeface to one that
>provides curly quotes.

I'll disagree with the suggestion to use Lyx, but only because Joe said
that he needed to do college papers. For academic writing today you are
in a world of pain doing citations and the references section unless
you have either Zotero or Mendeley, and both work only with LO/OO or MS
Word. Of course, if you want the superior typesetting of Lyx you could
write the paper complete with citations and references in LO/OO, then
copy and paste it all into Lyx.