On Sun, 6 Aug 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I'll disagree with the suggestion to use Lyx, but only because Joe said
> that he needed to do college papers. For academic writing today you are in
> a world of pain doing citations and the references section unless you have
> either Zotero or Mendeley, and both work only with LO/OO or MS Word. Of
> course, if you want the superior typesetting of Lyx you could write the
> paper complete with citations and references in LO/OO, then copy and paste
> it all into Lyx.

John,

   That's absolute nonsense. Look at bibtex
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BibTeX>. It is what most academics (faculty
and students) use to write research papers they submit to journals? I used
bibtex for the citations in my book published by Springer in 2005 (submitted
as camera-ready typeset copy; their TeXpert added the first few pages after
the half-title), and I use it in every white paper with reference citations
or bibliographies. It's what I used in my article published last year in the
on-line Journal of Regulatory Science.

   Academics also use it for Masters theses and doctoral dissertations, both
of which include references or bibliographies. The scientific reference
database I use is called JabRef <http://www.jabref.org/> and it will insert
the citation and reference in my LyX document at the click of an icon.

   If you want to automate tables (of contents, figures, and tables), index
creation, biblography or references, and cross-references (e.g., 'see Figure
n on page y') you use LyX (or LaTeX). And, yes, there are classes for
linguistics as there are for almost every subject in the natural and social
sciences, business, engineering, music, and more.

   Donald Knuth (UC Berkeley) wrote TeX in the 1970s because there was no
writing tool available (incluing troff, groff, and their relatives) that
typeset mathematical equations beautifully. TeX/LaTeX/LyX still does this
better than any word processor.

Rich