On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Sun, 6 Aug 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I'll disagree with the suggestion to use Lyx, but only because Joe
>> said that he needed to do college papers. For academic writing today
>> you are in a world of pain doing citations and the references
>> section unless you have either Zotero or Mendeley, and both work
>> only with LO/OO or MS Word.

>I did not mean to be harsh in my response, but LaTeX/LyX and bibtex (or
>biblatex) are very heavily used in academia. Take a look at it.

I suspect that you are out of date. Indeed, those tools still exist and
they are amazing. But the PSU Department of Applied Linguistics teaches
graduate students how to use Zotero to create the student's
bibliographic database and use it to create citations and references
with Word or Writer. Consider the following workflow and compare it to
your tools:

1) I open a web page that contains a book, journal article, or web
content. At this point Zotero (which is an add-on for Firefox or
Chrome) adds a little icon to the title bar - a book icon if the work
is a book, a text icon for articles, etc. I click on the icon and the
work is automatically added to my database, complete with all the stuff
needed to create citations and references lists in my word processor
later. I can do this with any web page that has a work on it, including
web pages from any library. As it adds the work it pops up a split
screen in the web browser where the bottom half will display what
Zotero proposes to add to my database of works. About one time out of
twenty Zotero messes up slightly and I need to make a minor
correction, e.g., Zotero thought that 'Joe Blow' was the author of the
work but in fact he is the editor. Except for such corrections I don't
have to type a thing, almost completely eliminating typos in my
citations and references list.

Later as I am writing my paper in Writer I decide to cite Blow's work.
Zotero has a second add-on for Writer (strangely it is installed in
Firefox, yet its functions are in Writer). The functions are available
in a Zotero toolbar, whose leftmost icon is 'Citation.' I click on the
Citation icon and I get a Zotero popup whose opening page asks me what
academic style I want. I select APA, and thereafter this question is
never asked again - the add-on makes this a part of the document. Then
the popup asks me to select the work I want to cite, displaying a list
in alphabetical order by author. I select Blow's work and instantly the
citation appears in my paper, in perfect APA formatting. (There are
options, e.g., I can add a page number to the citation.)

Finally, as I have finished writing the final paragraph of my paper, as
a student who understands APA style requirements, I enter a blank line,
then type and center 'References,' then another blank line. At this
point I turn to the Zotero toolbar and click on the icon for
References. Bang! There is my reference list - every work that I have
cited in the paper, perfectly formatted for APA requirements.

I have used Zotero and Writer to produce dozens of academic papers, and
I have never found an error in the formatting of the citations or
references list, nor has any professor.

And additional nicety of Zotero: If I wish I can click on a button on
the Zotero popup in Firefox and Zotero will copy my entire database to
their servers. In case my world goes up in flames, I can recover my
database in minutes. Of course, my database also resides on my own
computer, buried somewhere in .mozilla.

An additional comment about bibtex. One of our professors had been
called upon to teach the graduate level class on academic research,
required for master's degree candidates, his first time teaching the
class. He asked me about Zotero because he knew I used it, yet he had
not. In our conversation he said 'apparently no one uses bibtex any
more, at least not around here.' He added that the department
guidelines for the class specified instructing the class in Zotero
and/or Mendeley. I ended up giving a guest lecture to the class on
Zotero. Some had already used it, most had not, and as I demonstrated
it there were wide eyes and mouths agape as they realized they need
never type a references list again.

Oh, and one more thing. I remember being taught in the late 50's that
if you wished to cite someone you entered a superscript footnote in
the text, which was to appear at the bottom of the page, something like
this:

        1. Blow, Joe. Some Work He Wrote, Doubleday, New York, 1958.
        2. Op cit.

And so on. Today, there may still be an academic style that uses
footnotes for citations, but I can say that I have not seen such a
method for citations in a long time. In the APA style we put the
citation in the text, e.g. (Blow, 1958). Footnotes are discouraged ('if
it's important enough to say, say it in the text'), but are allowed for
explanatory material. Needless to say, in several years at PSU I think
I have used an actual footnote only a couple of times.

If you do academic writing where you need citations I encourage you to
take Zotero for a spin - easily completely removed if you want.
Personally I'd be lost without it. But if I want better typesetting
after I write a paper in Writer + Zotero, I copy and paste into
Scribus. You can do the same with your favorite Lyx.