Ed

Thank you for the response,  I did some experimentation

It has been 5 days since I first experienced this issue.
On a lark I tried  "apt-get update"   "apt-get upgrade" on both problem
systems
     and the *problem resolved on both systems*.
None of the updates appeared to be display related!?!??

I recallrf doing an "apt autoremove" to prior to reboot before the problem
appeared.
Tried that again and BINGO, display problems again.
Even the F1 terminal mode was not stable.
Had to ssh in from another system and did another update/upgrade
This time no updates occurred.  Rebooted.  Display *working*.again.

Not sure what to think now  Will avoid the "autoremove" in the future

-- Bill Morita
512-569-6387 (Cell)