Yes I bet that most of us amateur radio people have cooked at least one cig
lighter receptacle, usually with a high power radio. I did one about a year
ago.
Forgot to move it over to a Anderson power pole I had installed and smoked
the receptacle.

Sine wave good, square wave bad, way bad... Modified sine wave is still a
square wave, it just puts the transition off in time, but it is still ugly.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM, David <w7...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Be careful drawing that much power out of a cigarette lighter. The
> connection will get hotter than a pistol! It is not meant to handle that
> much current for more than a minute or so at time. 3 or 4 amps is a good
> long term maximum, which is still 40 or 50 watts. Been there ... done
> that. -Dave.
>

> On 8/22/2017 12:25 AM, Tom wrote:
> > I solved this kind of portability, and more, by purchasing an inverter.
> > I find that way more universal than trying to get stuff working on
> > battery power with unstable voltage. True 110V socket in the car is
> > awesome for road and marine trips. The size of the inverter is about
> > 15x20x5cm.
> > If you chose to go this route, I would advice to get true sine wave
> > inverter. It costs 2-3x more but it works way better than the square
> > and/or modified sine wave inverters. They (not the true sine wave one)
> > caused my power bricks + the inverter to overheat and it was bloody
> > noisy. You can draw max 15A out of lighter socket in the car so 120
> > -150W inverter is all you can feed without wiring it directly to the
> > battery. I got it in Frys' after returning the cheaper modified sine
> > wave one.
> > Hope it helps, Tomas
> > On Sun, 2017-08-20 at 23:08 -0700, Michael Barnes wrote:
> >> Good to know. What would be really great is to find a similar printer
> >> that
> >> would run from 12VDC. I'd like to set up a completely portable fly
> >> -away
> >> package that ran from 12VDC to utilize battery/vehicle/solar power.
> >>
> >> Michael

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ph 4:13 KJV
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
Fil 4:13 RVR1960