You can verify the meaning of * by: ls -ld *

If that displays correct files and directories, cp -pr * ....../ will the
same files and directories into the destination directory.

If you want to be even more sure, use dry rsync run:
rsync -an --progress * ...../
If you like the print out, just repeat the command without option n:
rsync -a --progress * ...../

Hope it helps,
Tomas