So it is unlikely that the router was the issue, and even if it was, any
hope of confirming that is gone.

Now  to the present state.  I am connected directly to the Comcast Modem,
an Arris  TG1268T.  The modem has wireless, and that is set up to function
(I use it for my laptop.)  This afternoon I noticed that the 2.5Ghz light
is flashing once every 6 seconds.  I do not know if that is new or not.
But assuming that the bad behavior was caused by bad actors, might I still
have nasty stuff installed somewhere?  How do I check?  If it recurs, what
should I do to find out what is happening?

There is an SSID and PW label pasted to  the modem, said to be unique to
this particular box.  What does that information allow one to access, and
from where?

Where does DNS poisoning occur?  Since it was just local to my machine (no
general complaints noticed), then something local must have been hacked.
This could have been either my router or my modem, since my laptop
connecting via wireless to the router also had the problem.  The modem was
reset a few times during my contact with Comcast's technician, so it could
have been the modem if reset clears the cache.

This whole thing is above my pay grade. Bottom line, if it recurs, what
should I do to find out what is happening?

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

-Denis