On Thu, 2023-10-26 at 22:30 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> I love RS232 and UARTs generally, I use them all the time and for me
> they
> will never go out of style, but I was wondering today about a
> specific
> marriage of the ancient and the modern, and it was hard to believe,
> what
> with USB being a pretty pervasive thing, they might exist, AND YET:
>
>    https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pex1s953lp
>
> THEY DO.

I've been using the two port version of this card for years.  Very
robust cards, never had one fail.  I use them to control the drive
motors in a medical device that helps doctors treat vertigo.  USB
devices literally burn up when we tried them in this application.

> Meanwhile, parallel SCSI (which I've been using all week) has pretty
> much
> vanished from the modern world.

Same with Firewire, cables and all, gone, not to be found anywhere.

Derek Loree