Trying to build a couple of packages here on my 32-bit, 2-core i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor causes a CPU overheat shutdown of the system.
Building one large package, ATLAS (a linear algebra library), is recommended
to set cpufreq to 'performance' which fixes the govenor at the highest
speed. The normal governor is 'ondemand' which sets clock speed depending on
load.

  The governors available in Slackware-14.2 here are: conservative,
userspace, powersave, ondemand, and performance.

  One page I read noted that one cpufreq governor can keep the processor's
temperature down but I've not found a web page that tells me which one is
best. I believe either the 'powersave' or 'conservative' governors could
keep the CPU from overheating but I've not which would be better to use. The
'powersave' is recommended for portables and the 'conservative' is similar
to 'ondemand' but changes frequencies more gently.

  Your thoughts and experiences will be helpful.