On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, Jim Garrison wrote:

c) It should come with DHCP enabled and should assign the laptop
  a valid address when you plug in the ethernet cable, if you let it

Jim,

  Changed the laptop's eth0 to use DHCP and it's connected to the router's
WAN port. Rebooted laptop. No ipv4 address on eth0.

d) If all else fails, connect the network cable then fire up Wireshark.
 Look for arp packets and you'll find the router's IP address and network
 quickly.

  Wireshark-2.4.2 is building now. Will read User Guide to learn how to get
the router's address (which should be 192.168.1.1 because that's marked on
the router and it worked the last time I accessed it. I'm surprised it did
not assign an IP address to the laptop. Perhaps I did things out of
sequence.