On Sun, 3 Dec 2017, King Beowulf wrote:

mp3 patent expired in May 2017. Lame and ffmpeg are now part of
Slackware-current (15.0 "real soon now").

Ed,

  Good to know.

ogg vorbis is OK, but for audio fidelity I prefer FLAC, lossless
compression, unless I need to save space.

  I was thinking about this and decided that it makes more sense for me to
leave the existing .mp3 files as they are, convert the voice recorder files
to .ogg since they don't require high fidelity, and when I get to digitizing
my collection of vinyl records I'll specify the format. I'll take your
advice and use flac for those new files.

Thanks,