My posting of this URL is not intended to start a distribution flame war,
we had enough of these in the 1990s, but to inform newer converts to linux
about the bare-bones distribution: Slackware. I'm sure Ed, Wayne, and a
couple of others will be nodding their heads as they read this, as I did.

  FWIW, I defenestrated to linux in 1997, ran Red Hat for 6 years, then
switched to Slackware-8.0. I work the same way with it in the current 14.2,
and did learn the hard way to install _everything_ even when I did not need
it.

  Enjoy:
<https://hackaday.com/2018/01/30/making-the-case-for-slackware-in-2018/>

Rich