Meltdown and Spectre are potential security exploits of
flaws in advanced CPU architectures (Intel, ARM, probably
AMD).  Flaws that have been there decades, but discovered
and publicised only recently.

I am no security guru, so my strategy has been to use
conservative "proven" distros (like Red Hat Enterprise
Linux clones, vetted by third parties), and let others
stick their necks out.  However, RHEL7 uses the Linux
3.10 kernel, and attempted kernel fixes do not appear
until the 4.14 kernel.  It may be a year or two before
these new kernels become "old, tested" kernels.

On the one hand, my outward facing systems are virtuals,
running as guests at Linode and Rimuhosting, with Xen
hypervisors that are being upgraded and bulletproofed
right now.  I have daily backups.

On the other hand, my internal systems are older, and
connected to those world-exposed systems by VPN links,
and apps like postfix and rsync and ssh.  My backups
are accessable on the internal network.

As it stands today, if one of my world-exposed systems is
compromised, either directly or via the hosting company's
hypervisor, the Bad Guys MAY be able to crawl up the VPN
tunnel and tamper with my internal systems, and my backups.

Is there a simple way to tweak the ssh process from the
internal network so that it cannot be exploited from the
world-exposed virtual systems?

Am I worrying too much?

Keith

--