On 02/17/2018 01:41 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration

That describes what triggered my thoughts.
It links to  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System>
which outlines what has to happen behind the scenes to have the
user experience I want.

Asking on the debian-user list referred me to KDE's "activities".

<https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html>
which links to
  <https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html>

<https://www.datamation.com/open-source/what-makes-a-classic-linux-desktop-classic-1.html>
  <https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-kde-plasma-activities/>

I have some reading followed by thoughtful re-reading to do :}
Thank you.