On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 21:50:26 -0800
Dick Steffens <d...@dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>> I have also been having issues with Update Manager lately, similar to
>> what Dick reports, including failing to find the internet. Because of
>> the problems, which I assume are bugs, I don't even try Update
>> Manager anymore. When I want to do an update I launch Synaptic,
>> which I find more reliable.

>In that case are you updating specific packages? I've depended on
>Update Manager to know what needs updating. Is there some tool in
>Synaptic to check for what needs updating?

Once in a while I need a different (newer or older) version of a
program that is already installed, but that happens very seldom. Mostly
I need a general update, which I do once a month just before leaving
for the Clinic. I do it this way because the updates almost always
require a reboot, and I always shut down when traveling, so if I'm
going to reboot anyway it's a perfect time to do the updates. Plus, it
makes a regular schedule so updates don't get forgotten.

As for Synaptic, in the left column there is a button labeled Status.
Click on it and it will display packages in groups, like All,
Installed, Upgradable, etc. At the top there is another button labeled
Mark All Upgrades.