Well, the cooling is liquid, has a large heat exchanger to get rid of the
heat
and the CPU part is a large piece of copper that is held down on the CPU,
the heat is moved out of the copper block via heat pipe to the heat
exchanger.

I see the i7's all over the place too. From boxed devices for over $500 to
used
on Ebay, so looks like the selection is all over the place.

I see a lot of 3.40 mHz devices, not so many 3.50 mHz units.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Bill Weiss <pdxli...@houdini.spum.us> wrote:

> Chuck Hast(wch...@gmail.com)@Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 09:29:16AM -0600:
> > This is what I got from a query of the machine:
> >
> > Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G540 @ 2.50GHz
>
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=684&cmp[]=2 implies you'd
> get a pretty good speedup out of an upgrade, then. Single-thread
> performance is almost twice as good, and you'd double your cores (plus
> again doubling with HT). You'll up the power usage a bit, so make sure
> your cooling is up to it.
>
> On the other hand, performance per dollar is amazing for that Celeron at
> $21 for a new one :)
>
> The i5 I guessed at might be a good median there:
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=684&cmp[]=2&cmp[]=822
>
> No HT, and slower single-core, but still 1.5x your single-thread speed and
> double the cores.
>
> > On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Bill Weiss <pdxli...@houdini.spum.us>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Chuck Hast(wch...@gmail.com)@Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 08:17:28AM -0600:
> been
> > > putting

> bunch to

> (Sandy
> support up

> the
> > > i5.
> > >
> > > You should be able to drop any LGA1155-socketed processor in there.
> > > https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?
> Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=
> > > 100007671%20600095610
> > > shows you what's for sale there in that socket. It looks like you could
> > > stuff a i7-3770K in there?
> > >
> > > That said, what's your existing processor? That might not be a huge
> > > upgrade for the $500. If you had the i5-3470 you'd be getting
> > > hyperthreading, 300 MHz, a little more L3 cache, and better onboard
> > > graphics.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Weiss
> > >

> --
> Bill Weiss

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ph 4:13 KJV
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
Fil 4:13 RVR1960