I'm trying to compile ATLAS (Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software)
on my 32-bit desktop. It's a large, complex library and the build script
warns me to do something about a potential CPU heat problem. I don't recall
how I complied it before so I need advice on how to fix things so it builds
and the system stays up and running.

  Here's what the script displays when it aborts:

-----

Architecture configured as  AMD64K10h (39)
/tmp/ccObqLqq.o: In function `ATL_tmpnam':
/tmp/SBo/atlas-3.10.3/BuildDir/..//CONFIG/include/atlas_sys.h:224: warning: the
use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'

Clock rate configured as 3100Mhz

Maximum number of threads configured as  2
probe_pmake.o: In function `ATL_tmpnam':
/tmp/SBo/atlas-3.10.3/BuildDir/..//CONFIG/include/atlas_sys.h:224: warning: the
use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
Parallel make command configured as '$(MAKE) -j 2'
CPU Throttling apparently enabled!
It appears you have cpu throttling enabled, which makes timings
unreliable and an ATLAS install nonsensical.

OS-controlled CPU throttling is so course grained, that timings become
essentially random.  What this means for an ATLAS install is that ATLAS
cannot tell the difference between a good and bad kernel, and so the
tuning step may result in arbitrarily bad performance.  If you don't care
about performance, you are usually better off just using the reference BLAS.

If you fear overheating, setting clock speed to some lower, constant
value should give you a decent install.

Hardware-controlled throttling is usually much finer grained, and therefore
may result in mediocre tuning, but this will depend quite bit on luck.

If your machine has OS throttling enabled, it is critical that you disable
it (with something like cpufreq-set).  See INSTALL.txt for details.

If you you do not care at all about performance, you can rerun configure
with --cripple-atlas-performance to proceed in the face of throttling.
Do not do this unless you really don't care about performance.
If you are able to turn off throttling, rerun configure as normal
once you have done so.

Aborting due to throttling
xconfig exited with 1

-----

  This CPU has 2 cores. The options are beyond my knowledge of
processor/system hardware details and I don't know which option to use nor
how to implement it and return the system to its current state when the
library is built.

  Recommendations from those more knowledgeable than I on this issus are
needed.

TIA,

Rich