On 2018-04-04 15:20, michael wrote:
I have a private RFC1918 network with a private DNS server on it on a
CentOS 7 based server that can resolve Internet names as well.

There are a bunch of Windows machines and the server hooked to a
Netgear Nighthawk wireless router.  It points at nameservers out on
the Internet that don't have the local names.  Short of getting the
owner to change the Nighthawk so that it goes to the Linux server
for names and the Linux server so that it will forward from Spectrum's
DNS servers, how can I get host resolution to/from these Windows
boxes locally?  When we VPN in, it would be nice to have the local
names...  but getting the owner to change the configuration on the
Nighthawk is asking a lot.

|--------------------------------------------|
| "ApexMW" Nighthawk Netgear Wireless Router |
|                                            |
| VPN access to ApexMW                       |
|                                            |
| Wired to "Projector"                       |
|                                            |
| Wired to www.int.apexmw.com                |
|                                            |
| Wired to Spectrum cable modems             |
|                                            |
| Wired to two more wireless routers...      |
|--------------------------------------------|

|--------------|
| engineering1 |
|              |
| Windows 10   |
| Wireless     |
| ApexMW       |
|______________|

|--------------|
| engineering2 |
|              |
| Windows 10   |
| Wireless     |
| ApexMW       |
|______________|

/---------------------------------------------------\
| 2 more Windows 10 computers connected wirelessly. |
|         Connected to ApexMW                       |
\---------------------------------------------------/

|---------------------------|
| www.int.apexmw.com        |
|                           |
| CentOS 7                  |
|                           |
| VirtualBox guests:        |
| Windows 2012 R2           |
| winserver.int.apexmw.com  |
| Windows 2012 R2           |
| winserver2.int.apexmw.com |
|                           |
| Connected ApexMW          |
|     * wired               |
|                           |
| Connected Projector       |
|     * wired               |
|---------------------------|

|------------------------------------------|
| "Projector" Netgear Wireless N300 router |
| Wired to www.int.apexmw.com              |
| Wired from Internet port to ApexMW       |
| Wired to controller2.int.apexmw.com      |
|------------------------------------------|

|------------------------|
| michael.int.apexmw.com |
|                        |
| Raspbian Stretch       |
|                        |
| Raspberry Pi 3 Model B |
|                        |
| Connected Projector    |
|   * wireless           |
|________________________|

|----------------------------|
| controller2.int.apexmw.com |
| Raspbian Stretch           |
| Raspberry Pi 3 Model B     |
| Connected Projector        |
|    * wired                 |

So Raspberry Pi's running Raspbian Stretch are on "Projector," the development network. All Windows machines are connected to the Nighthawk. There is no host resolution locally for people on Windows boxes because the Nighthawk assigns a remote DNS server instead of the local DNS server. Is there a convenient way without touching the Nighthawk to resolve local names from the Windows boxes? They are getting IP addresses via dhcp from the Nighthawk. I could see about static IP and name server configuration, but that's not an ideal solution. The engineering1 computer is statically configured because it is running a service that the Raspberry Pi's running Linux need.