On 04/29/2018 04:32 PM, John Meissen wrote:
d...@dicksteffens.com said:
I've downloaded the Ubuntu MATE 18.04 iso file, copied it to a USB  stick, and
am trying to replace my old Ubuntu 14.04. But I can't get the  machine to boot
from the USB drive.
You can't just copy the ISO to a flash drive and boot from it. You need a tool
like 'mkusb' to create a bootable image on the drive. I've been using this to
set up a new system without an optical drive, it works really well...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

Thanks. A clue stick is indeed what I needed. I've done this before, and I even have it in my notes from the last install I did last July.

On Ubuntu MATE 16.04, click System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator. That tool is included in standard MATE (and other flavors of Ubuntu, I think). Once created and plugged into the target machine, I was able to boot to the 18.04 install tool, and it is proceeding as I type.

Thanks again for the clue stick.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens