On 04/30/2018 11:22 AM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
On 2018-04-29 22:28, Dick Steffens wrote:
I understand that computer names are somewhat arbitrary. I know a
group that named their computers after the seven dwarfs. I tend to
name my by the brand/model of the machine since it is rare that I ever
have two alike. My two most recent machines were built by ENU (R.I.P).
I named them ENU-1 and ENU-2. When I installed Ubuntu MATE 18.04 on
the box I call ENU-1 I tried to use that name. The complaint was that
there was already a computer on the network with that name, so for the
time being I named it ENU-1.1.

Two questions.

1. How did the install process know there was a computer named ENU-1,
if ENU-1 wasn't there? Did it find it through a table in the router?

2. If I change that table will everybody be happy? (I have a list of
computers in the router so that they always get assigned the same IP
address.)

This sounds like the DHCP lease or configuration table. Yes you can change it and everyone will be happy.

Names are completely arbitrary.

Thanks. I was hoping it was something that simple.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens