That would be nice to be able to stop it in that way. I'm not a Linux guru,
so I'd also like to hear if there's some way to do that.

However, I just wanted to say that I always use -P as one of the options,
and this will resume partial downloads. So if you have to stop it and then
resume later, it will just pick up where it left off.

Not quite what you were asking for, but another way to solve the same
problem. (At least as far as I understood your question.)

Thanks,
Erik