On 10/27/2018 02:29 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
On 10/26/18 8:48 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
*Are online copies of textinfo content available?*

Many man pages end with:
The full documentation for Ed is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
the info > and XYZ programs are properly installed at your site, the
command

     info XYZ

should give you access to the complete manual.

I have problems with that.
1. *I don't want to install unneeded packages just to find out*
    *whether or not the package _might_ be useful.*
2. The info output has an annoying format. A browser acceptable format
    {plain text fine --  HTML *NOT* needed} is MUCH more functional.

I posted this question to debian-u...@lists.debian.org .
The replies totally ignored my primary question and reason I asked
[emphasized in this copy].

Side question:
Could I have made any clearer what information I was looking for?
TIA

Richard,

What documentation and where it is available depends on the project.

If the manpages (if any) are too terse, some projects provide infopages
that contain more details.

My intentions were to:
 1. restrict my "universe of discourse" to those commands/packages
    whose man pages explicitly refer to Texinfo documents being
    available.
 2. not require the command/package to be present on the system being
    used {e.g. using MS Windows}.

 Texinfo is designed to work with TeX and
Emacs for printing and viewing, and can also print sections or whole
manuals. Perhaps using info or emacs to print to a text file will do
what you need.  For example:

$ info XYZ | col -b > XYZ.txt

Check the XYZ project website, github, sourceforge, etc for additional
documentation formats.

Also check your local drive.  Depending on how XYZ was packaged to
install onto you linux disribution, you should find documentation under

/usr/doc/XYZ

-Ed