On 11/25/18 4:52 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:

Make sure that /dev/sdc exists, reinsert the USB stick to get it to show up.

In the event there's something wrong with the USB stick, I decided to try a different one. This one currently has a Linux Mint 19 live image on it. When I plug it in, I get the same screwy thing of two icons appearing on the desktop. One is named SlackDVD, and the other is named LinuxMint 19 MATE 64 bit. While it's not the Unix way to fix things, I'm going to reboot this machine, since something screwy is going in with USB mounting.

I'm saving this as a draft, and will report back after the reboot.

-----

After the reboot, only the Linux Mint 19 icon appears on the desktop. mount reports:

/dev/sdc1 on /media/dick/Linux Mint 19 MATE 64-bit type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmode=500,fmode=400,uhelper=udisks2)

I ran

sudo umount /dev/sdc1

and then ran

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=1M

It's still running, so I'm guessing it's doing its thing. I'll report back after it finishes.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens