On 11/26/18 5:01 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 11/26/18 3:41 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... Firefox shouldn't try to sync or do anything on the network when
>> launching. The version installed is old.  You should update to the
>> newest one via slackpkg.
>
> I'm logged in as root.
>
> I ran slackpkg search firefox.
>
> It returned [ upgrade ] (something about firefox)
>
> I ran slackpkg upgrade firefox
>
> It listed a bunch of steps it was taking and finished.
>
> I clicked on the Firefox icon in KDE and saw the little red firefox
> bouncing on the screen. After about a minute or less, the bouncing
> stopped, but Firefox was not loaded.
>
> Looks like I broke something.

in KDE, as a regular user (not root), open konsole and run firefox to
see what errors it spits out.

the firefox icon on the KDE bar is sometimes not pointing to the right
place.  you can also try running from the KDE menu tree.

you can also see if Seamonkey or konquerer gives the same error(s).

>> During install, if you selected network manager to control the network,
>> switching from wireless to wired can confuse it for some network
>> devices.
>
> I don't recall selecting network manager, but I didn't write down what I
> did say.
>
>> Also note, that if you set yo wireless with network manager
>> and used KDE wallet to store the passphrase, XFCE can't see it. when
>> switching DE or network interface, in the DE (you need to have teh
>> networkmanager applet running), as a normal user, open a terminal and
>> run:
>>
>> su -
>> <root password>
>> /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager restart
>> exit
>>
>> (remember that Slackware does NOT use systemd or sudo).  Network Manager
>> has some nice features but the GUI applet is easily confused and the CLI
>> version is cryptically brain dead.
>
> I haven't tried wireless yet.  But I'll keep this in mind when I get
> that far.

You can always repeat the network configuration as root in CLI with
"netconfig" - DHCP for wired is fine, and then make sure
/etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager is not executable (networkmanager does DHCP
differently).  if it is,
/etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager stop
chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager

When you are ready for wifi and networkmanager, Ben or I will help you
with getting the dhcp glitches fixed.  you can either use Slackware's
tools OR networkmanager to control networking, not both.

>> When X hangs, it may just be X Windows not Firefox etc.  KDE and XFCE
>> use different GUI widgets.  To see if it is just X and not the whole
>> system. press ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X and drop to the command line
>> (this is why I never run a graphical login manager).  You  can then
>> "startx" to reload.  Again, be sure to update as there have been a
>> number of important bug fixes to X.org, FF, etc.
>
> I did the update thing during the initial install. I just did it again.

did all 124 updates trundle by? and kernel 4.4.157?

>> xwmconfig sets the user DE.  setting for "root" will not set for your
>> normal user and vice versa.  it copies '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.<DE>' to
>> '$HOME/.xinitrc' and if that doesn't exist '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc' is a
>> symlink to ''/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde' as the default.
>>
>> During install, when asked about your system clock, did you pick local
>> or UTC?
>
> Local.
>
>> If you set UTC but the BIOS clock is local time you then just
>> confused the heck out of it.
>>
>> 1. Set BIOS to correct local time
>
> Did so. But I think I didn't exit correctly. I just re-did it, and the
> clock now looks correct.
>
>> 2. open command terminal
>>
>> su -
>> <root password>
>> timeconfig
>> ... set for loacl and timezone
>> nano /etc/ntp.conf
>> ...uncomment one or more NTP servers
>
> Uncommented 0.
>
>> ..save
>> ntpd -gq
>
> bash-4.3# ntpd -gq
> 26 Nov 03:22:31 ntpd[2089]: ntpd 4.2.8p8@1.3265-o Fri Jun 3 23:08:22 UTC
> 2016 (1): Starting
> 26 Nov 03:22:31 ntpd[2089]: Command line: ntpd -gq
> 26 Nov 03:22:31 ntpd[2089]: proto: precision = 1.047 usec (-20)
> 26 Nov 03:22:31 ntpd[2089]: restrict: 'monitor' cannot b disabled while
> 'limited' is enabled
> 26 Nov 03:22:31 ntpd[2089]: unable to bind to wildcard address :: -
> another process may be running - EXITING
> bash-4.3#

Weird, ntpd thinks it is already running.  was rc.ntpd executable on the
last boot? as root

lsof -i | grep ntp

and see if it exists. In which case the -q option kicks an error and you
want to use 'ntpq' instead to see that ntp stats:

ntpq -c sysinfo localhost

to see ntp time/date stats and to set clock:

ntptime
ntpdate <time server url>

(ntpd must not be running to use ntpdate)

>> hwclock -w
>
> A little pause, but didn't see anything else. Clock still shows
> incorrect time. 03:28 AM (Before going back to the BIOS step again)

 hwclock -r will read the BIOS clock (-w writes) so you can track which
part is confused.

if ntpd is running, or if not after ntpd -gq run ntptime then check
http://time.gov for your timezone (in whatever browser runs).

More gory details:
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:network_services:ntp

>> You should now be all time synchronized.  Xfce does not autoupdate time.
>> KDE can but is a bit gimpy.  To synchronize on each boot, and run the
>> ntpd daemon
>>
>> chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd
>>
>> (rc.ntpd can then be used for start|stop|restart|status)
>
> Do I need to "tell" something to run it, or is that what rc.ntpd does,
> now that it's executable?

all rc.* that are set executable are run on boot.  They are all just
shell scripts run in a particular order to get all the needed stuff and
doodads running after kernel boot.

>> see also "man ntpd"
>>
>> Note that rc.ntpd will not update the hardware clock, use "hwclock -w"
>>

> Done.

Sometimes, if the time correction is too big, you have to set the time
and date manually first.  So set the BIOS and then login as root to set
the time. I write this at about 18:49:45 on 26NOV2018 so

date 112618492018.45
or
date --set "26 NOV 18:49:45 PST 2018"

then try ntpdate or ntpd to fine tune.