On 1/4/19 3:01 PM, wes wrote:
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 2:29 PM Dick Steffens <d...@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

While working on getting the correct nVidia driver on my Slackware
machine Firefox appeared to hang. It won't respond to attempts to close
it via the gui, so I tried kill. I used ps ax | grep firefox to learn
the process to kill. But when I try to kill it, as root, I get an error
message telling me there is no such process. Sure enough, when I use ps
ax again, firefox has a different process. After trying yet again to
kill the process I learned from the second ps ax, and discovering that
that process doesn't exist, I tried ps ax a couple of times in a row.
Each time I get a different process number.

How do I kill a process like that?

Many Linux distributions now come with a utility called "killall" which
will kill all processes matching a given name.

Or: reboot.

After several minutes I tried closing Firefox using its own close button and it worked. However, none of the icons on the XFCE launch (?) bar at the bottom of the screen worked. So I went with option two and am rebooting. Actually, I powered down and started back up. Now the mouse works, but the keyboard does not. Unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in fixed that, but login won't accept my normal user password, or my root password.

I'm assuming I can boot from the install USB stick, but if that works, what do I look for to fix being able to log in?

Also, during my other adventures, I noticed that instead of having my user name in the terminal prompt I had a bash, something or other. Whereas, as root, I did have root in the prompt. Does that point to something?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens