On 6/8/19 8:15 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I have a Belkin N900 wifi router configured as a wireless access point;
> it's
> been in use for several years. The laptop that uses it to access the 'Net
> frequently cannot. Rebooting the laptop sometimes helps yet more recently
> power-cycling the Belkin brings it back to wakefulness.
>
> Is it reasonable to think the Belkin has reached end of life and should be
> replaced?
>
> One thing I like about the Belkin is that it is very slim and stands on the
> narrow side so it takes little space on the hutch on the computer desk.
> If I
> replace it I'd prefer one with the same form factor, and being only a WAP
> would be good.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Rich

Rich

After awhile, any number of components can give up the ghost.  With
older wifi devices it could simply be RF interference.  As more devices
go wireless the spectrum us getting crowded. After checking for obvious
signs of failure (overheating etc), consider

1. F/w update.  this will fix various wifi algorithms
2. change wifi channel.  Overcrowded?
3. change to base frequency. 2.4Ghz is used for a lot of crap, try 5Ghz.
 Note that 802.11n at 5Ghz doesn't have much range, esp. through walls.
4. CPU too slow, not enough RAM to handle current data rates and devices.

It may just be time to upgrade.  Belkin has the same form factor in
802.11ac.

-Ed