> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019, Frank Filz wrote:
>
> > How are you seeing orphaned inodes?
>
> Frank,
>
> When the kernel runs fsck on partitions.
>
> > If the filesystem transactions aren't working right, an orphan inode
> > could occur if there was a crash or something during an unlink and the
> > directory update was made permanent but the inode cleanup didn't occur.
>
> Within the past month or so on very infrequent occasions, the desktop
reboots
> when I turn on the laser printer. The desktop is on a UPS battery backup,
the
> printer is not. Something new that I'll look into Real Soon Now.

Hmm, the crash must be causing open but unlinked inodes to be lost, or some
issue during a rename, create, or unlink. Those I would have expected to be
handled by the journaling filesystem (are you using one?). I'd actually
expect the open unlinked inodes to be caught by the journaling also, but
maybe not...

Frank