Denis Heidtmann wrote:
On my Lenovo X240 I have the trackpad disabled because my errant thumbs
have a nasty tendency to move the pointer around unwittingly.  I use a
wireless USB mouse, which is always fine.  Except if the mouse were to
fail, I have no way to do anything, including saving, shutting down, or
other recoveries.  This has not happened, but I have tested it and have
found no solutions.  The track pointer still moves the cursor, but there is
no way to "click".  The function keys do not include access to the track
pad.  Any suggestions for a recovery should I have a failure?

Thanks,
-Denis
I am thinking maybe keep a USB mouse on hand (not wireless) ... I am thinking that by switching to that, the box should see it and be able to use it?  I am seeing USB meeses for less than $15.
Hope that helps
Regards
Fred James