On 7/28/19 11:24 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/28/2019 07:11 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> I have only a few machines a max of 6' apart.
>>> My usage would typically be peer-to-peer but I want to communicate
>>> between any two machines.
>>> My web connectivity is via a T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot (WiFi turned off).
>>> I run Debian and all software must be in their repository.
>>>
>>> I've just begun reading - primarily Wikipedia articles and some links
>>> from them.  My primary question is "What should I be reading?" in order
>>> to ask appropriate questions.
>>> [SNIP]
>>
>> Considering using either WiFi or Bluetooth.
>> What should I read to know "lay of the land"?
>>

> This message. If your goal is to transfer files, use ethernet or wifi, in
> that order of preference. Full stop.

Just to clarify terms: both wired and wifi (wireless) are "ethernet".
You can also do "ethernet" via bluetooth (only if desperate IMHO).

ethernet = network tchnology, typically using TCP/IP over twisted pair
           RJ45 connections
wired, wifi = physical network connection hardware

Thus, if you do not what to do "Ethernet" then you are back to
sneakernet.  You also did not explain why a wired configuration is not
suitable. If the systems are withing 6 feet of each other, wired
networking is the easiest ad most reliable method.

The most secure is to use wired ethernet TCP/IP. The software already
exists in all linux distributions in the base installation. Most (99%)
wired ethernet chipset drivers are already present in the linux kernel.
It is easy to set up a peer to peer networking on a 2+ systems via some
cable, a switch and fixed IP addresses and /etc/hosts files.

"wifi" or 802.11[a,b,g,n,ac] is just wired ethernet without the wires.
it is more complex to configure. Wifi depends on the vagaries of wifi
chipset drivers - some are in the kernel, some are binary blobs, not all
work as well as they should.  Setting up security can alos be
problematic between different chipsets.   IMO, Broadcom sucks,
Qualcom/atheros and intel are good.  Recommended only if running wires
is not feasible or for phones/tablets.

Bluetooth is good for keyboards, mice, headsets, but needs special (not
all laptops have it) hardware and drivers not always present in the
Linux kernel, and can be a pain to set up. it is also extremely
insecure.  Not recommended.

Personally, I crawled under the house and ran wire: CAT 6/5e for 1 Gbps
from office to living and bed rooms. No way for anyone to "sniff" my
packets until they leave the cable modem.

Since you are on Debian, why are you poking around Wikipedia?  Debian is
the second oldest linux distribution and has a large documentation
collection:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
https://wiki.debian.org/Network