On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, Galen Seitz wrote:

*No*. That is a manufacturer-specific *serial* cable that goes between the
UPS and a *serial* port. It just happens to have an RJ45 connector. I
would expect the RJ45 end to connect to the UPS.

Galen,

That was my first impression: that the DB9 would attach to the computer and
the RJ45 to the UPS (an APC-1500). Which brings me back to how I was
originally writing the question.

The Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard has in internal serial port socket
(cannot determine from the board diagram in the manual whether it's pinned --
probably -- or a socket). This suggests I need an add-on board pluged into
that socket with a male DB9 socket exposed on rear of the case. If this is
correct are there specifics for the expansion board for a modern system
board like this?

Thanks,