On 6/30/20 7:01 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

I'm going to look for a preamp for this dynamic microphone or an adapter
for the audio cable to USB.

There are multiple XLR-USB adapters with built-in preamps/gain boosters. The
AT2005USB comes with an XLR cable so that's the solution. However, some
adapters have built-in 48 volt booster power which is apparently required
for condenser mics but not dynamic mics (which is what the AT2005USB is;
designed for speaking rather than singing). Some dynamic mics are 'balanced'
and can handle the +48 volts; some aren't. I don't know whether the mic I
have is balanced.

So, I contacted a pro audio company through their web site and asked for
their recommendations for XLR-USB adapter/preamp that will work with my
microphone. I hope they resond today.

I have a little experience with audio (not unlike my level of experience with Linux, so take it for what it's worth). At any rate, you should be able to tell if your mic is balanced by the kind of connector it has. XLR connectors are balanced. Here's an interesting Wikipedia article on the subject of balanced audio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

And here's another one with pretty pictures:

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens